Atlantic Rollers

Atlantic Rollers

Saturday, December 6, 2014

Underway Wed Nov 19 08

Saturday, November 22nd, 2008

Just got off watch and had a bite of breakfast.

My patch kicked in while I was sleeping and I felt really good when I got up at 3:30am to go on watch.  I
have to come up with a routine to speed up that getting up part I was the last member of the watch to get
on deck.

Our watch was pretty exciting we had lots of sail handling and a fast moving thunderstorm squall just
before the end of the watch that forced us to take in the mainsail and the main t’gallant staysail in the
pouring rain. Pretty exciting for  a new sailor like me.

I also stood my first turn as lookout, I can see how that could be really cold, luckily the wind was fairly
warm today.

Standing alone for an hour up on the foredeck scanning the horizon for ship’s lights, etc is very conducive
to introspection. But do you think I can remember anything to write here? Not a chance

Typing on this little laptop makes me queasy so I think I will end this note here.

Thanks for reading
KJ


P.S.  After 4 hours of sound sleep in my bunk and a bite of lunch I feel much better. We are sailing along
at more than 5 knots in a steady force 5 breeze from right aft.  We are sailing under foresail, both topsails
and t’gallant on the foremast and  topsails and  t’gallant  on the  mainmast.  We have the  fore topmast
staysail and the two jibs flying as well.  It’s glorious!  The sea is a rich deep blue with intensely white
horses scattered across it all the way to the horizon.

The mountains of Spain are just visible to the North.

Lovely.

KJ

Posted in On Watch | No Comments »

No comments:

Post a Comment