Atlantic Rollers

Atlantic Rollers

Sunday, December 28, 2014

On Projects and Procedures Dec 28,08

Tuesday, January 6th, 2009

Been pondering a couple of things lately, usually while on lookout. The seas are pretty empty here off the
coast of Africa maybe one ship every other watch. The two things are what project to work on in my off
watches and the way “procedure” is detailed on board.

The reason for the concern about project is that nearly everyone is working on something or other. Today
was Sunday so there was no shipwork but everyone was sewing, doing ropework or woodwork or
practicing their instruments etc. Now to be honest they have all been doing this for 6 months, actually
nearly 8, whereas I have been aboard for just under 2 months. So what to work on? The contenders for me
is fancy ropework on my telescope, to give it a more nautical flair and also to give it a bit of protection,
and some kind of navigation instrument like a chip log or an astrolab or something. The latter seems likely
to be a bad idea if only because I would be on my own and it wouldn’t really be “sailors” work.

As for procedures, they are not really written down, the orders are however, nor are they fixed. The
procedures for doing the various tasks that keep this amazing machine running are organic. They have
grown along with the ship. Their roots are centuries old but then specifics are as linked to this ship as
much as my speech pattern and mannerisms are linked to me.

Learning them is more akin to learning to walk than learning math or any other subject for that matter.
They are a combination of physical actions coupled with knowledge of what is to be accomplished and the
order in which those things need to be accomplished. We don’t have specific duties for sail handling, for
example, people just lay out to do what needs to be done when the order is given. For me still unsure of
what is happening I end up at the back of the line “tailing on”. When an order comes and I am the first or
nearest to the line I should be taking the lead but my uncertainty makes be hesitate and I almost get run
over as the more experienced people get on with it. This is in no way a bad thing and know it won’t be
long until I can keep up but it is still a bit frightening when lots of things are happening at once.

Frightening and exciting at the same time. This is the way seamen have learned their trade for centuries.
Is it better than modern “school” methods? I don’t know. I do know that the seamen of yesteryear, experts
at their trade, knew no other way to learn or teach the way of their ship so it certainly does work.

Time will tell.

Thanks for reading.
KJ

Posted in Musings | No Comments »

No comments:

Post a Comment