Atlantic Rollers

Atlantic Rollers

Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Underway to Dakar Senegal Dec 30,08

Tuesday Dec 30,08

Word from Paul, the 2nd mate, is that we will likely get into Dakar on the 2nd of January. Odd to think
that the first decade of the 21st century is nearly over. We still don’t have any flying cars! Blah. I guess
the old saying ‘the future isn’t what it used to be” applies.

My little laptop is working really well. It does everything I need it to do onboard and will be doing more as
I figure it out. The 3 hour battery life is not conducive to much experimentation but as long as I can keep
a good charge I take 20% and play around :-)  Thanks again to Mark and his gang at Tremar Computer
Solutions!

Yesterday I spent an hour up on the foreyard adding a second siezing to the stirrups that support the
footropes.

Watch last night was uneventful, the haze that typifies this area blocks all but the highest stars and there
was not as much phosphoresence in the sea so there wasn’t much to look at. At least my cold has run it’s
course and my back is slowly getting better.

Since our watch will be the ones to ring in the New Year tomorrow night, Paul has devised a plan to create
a big ball to drop at the critical time! Construction will begin shortly. I’ll let you know the progress later.

Later…

We got a good start on the ball it is a wire sphere about 2′ in diameter with two 100 watt light bulbs inside!

We will also have a spotlight with 2009 on it to shine on the mainsail at the critical time. Should be an
interesting evening tomorrow if we can get it all done.

Afternoon watch was uneventful, spent it working on the port head, which is finally back together and
fully operational. It was dismantled in Las Palmas and with only one head available for the salon crew to
use for number 2s… well you can imagine how welcome the rebuilt one will be :-)

One more day in 2008 to go.

I hope your New Years plans go well.

Thanks for reading.
KJ

No comments:

Post a Comment