Atlantic Rollers

Atlantic Rollers

Monday, February 9, 2015

Passage to Grenada Feb 9, 09

Monday Feb 9.09 day 2

We are still heading NNW as of noon today under all squares and stunsls.

We are making good 5 knots plus there is a NW trending current here of about 1 knot so we are making a
good 120+ nm a day.

There is a fairly big swell running from the NE as well as the wind driven one from the SE which is
making the ship roll fairly far every now and then when things line up just right. Have to keep an eye on
the deck angle when moving around. You also have to make sure anything sitting on a table or the deck
won’t go for a run if a roll comes unexpectedly.

It is very hot below decks making sleeping difficult. It also makes doing any off watch activities there
uncomfortable. Trying to do them on deck is hot too because of the very bright euqatorial sun but at least
you can feel the wind.

No changes in the watch for me this passage, I’m still on 4-8 which is just fine with me. Nadia, who was
our AB has left to join the iEuropa/i in Chile where she will be working for the next few months. It was
great working with her as she was very knowledgeable and very willing to share that knowledge. Our new
AB is Ben who is great to work with too so it should be fun.

I have been working on doing Celestial Navigation over the last couple of weeks as you know and I
thought I had hit a dead end. I was getting really whacky answers and couldn’t figure out what I was doing
wrong. Today was “find the stupid mistake” day and sure enough looking at it today after leaving it alone
for 2 days I found the error. As I suspected it was really, REALLY, dumb so I won’t explain it  :-)  On the
bright side I now know my basic procedure was correct. Now to get some good sextant readings to
confirm that.

Had a really good evening and night watch. the ship steers beautifully with the stunsls set. We re making
good time so I hope the weather doesn’t change too much.

Thanks for reading.
K

No comments:

Post a Comment