Atlantic Rollers

Atlantic Rollers

Sunday, February 8, 2015

Passage to Grenada Feb 8-22,09

This was originally posted as a single continuous post when we arrived in Grenada on Sunday, February 22nd, 2009.  I will be breaking it up into the daily posts like I did for the Atlantic crossing.


We left Fernando de Noronha on Sunday Feb 8 on a 13 day passage to Grenada in the Caribbean.

We arrived this morning at 9:30am!

This is a continuous post so read down for the latest.

Sunday Feb 8,09 Day 1

This morning we awoke to find the ship surrounded by dolphins heading out to sea. They are famous for
being “spinny and flippy” and sure enough they are. Some people watching them longer than me saw
them leap out of the water spinning as they went!

So after our brief one day stop in Fernando de Noronha we are now underway to Grenada.

We sailed off the hook by backing our topsails and then turning and sailing down wind. A fine bit of
seamanship that. We didn’t even have the engine running “just in case”.

Gary and I were on galley duty today and being Sunday it was Donald’s day off. Lovely way to start a
passage. We survived and even got some compliments so I guess we did OK. By the looks of the schedule
I’m likely stuck on Sunday galley for this passage, blah. That will teach me to do a good job the first time :-)

There was a swim call just before noon, as we were waiting for the Captain to return from shore, so I had
another chance to swim in this fabulous blue water. I borrowed Gary’s face mask and got a good look at
the hull underwater which was cool.

We are sailing NNW under all squares with stunsls set and are making a good 6.5 knots in the steady SE
trades. It should be another fine passage.

Thanks for reading.
KJ


No comments:

Post a Comment