Atlantic Rollers

Atlantic Rollers

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Passage to Grenada Feb 10,09

Tuesday Feb 10,09 day 3

Had a good evening and night watch. The ship steers very well with Stunsls set.

When we came on deck this morning at 4:00 however, the stunsls had been taken in so we are now sailing
under square sails, inner and outer jib but no staysails or spanker.

Was on lookout when the sun came up this morning. There was a large dark mass of clouds off to the
North of us and the edges of this system extend into the east a bit so when the Sun came up it was into
fairly scary looking clouds. So far nothing has come of it. I think it is the system the cross swell is coming
from so not sure if we will be in some heavy weather later or not.

It is a bit cooler since the sun is in the clouds so I’m going to try and get some sleep before doing my
morning sun sight for Navigation.

More later…

It’s later and the sky is covered in high grey clouds. That prevents me from doing any sextant work but it
doesn’t seem to have eased the temperature any :-/ in fact I think the humidity has gone up, blah.
I noticed while on helm that my feet seemed to be burning and sure enough when I took off my shoes I
found that the tops of my feet are covered in little red spots some have pustules on them. They are “sea
water boils” I think. I also got them under my watch band. The only fix is to keep them dry (!?!) and they
will dry out and disappear. If they break open they can get nasty apparently. Blah.

I guess I will have to try going barefoot on watch, it will be an interesting experiment.

I’ll let you know how that goes.

Thanks for reading.
KJ

No comments:

Post a Comment