Atlantic Rollers

Atlantic Rollers

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Sailing for Dominica Mar 31,09

Tues Mar 31,09

I can’t believe it’s nearly April already.

Well the nice weather didn’t last through our afternoon watch yesterday by 7:00pm it was squally and
raining pretty heavily. After we got off watch the ship really started to roll for a while but settled down by
the time I went on watch at 4:00am.

Our night watch was good. My helm trick was from 6:00 to 7:00am this morning just as the Sun was rising
above a bank of clouds in the East. We are sailing “Full and By” trying to head as close to South as we
can get. I always have trouble sailing that way because I tend to over steer a bit when correcting which
causes us to fall off farther than we need to. Also today we didn’t have the royals set so we have to use
the leach of the T’gallant to determine our closest windward course. It is more sensitive to the rolling of
the ship which mimics the luffing which means we are as close as we can get to the wind. I think I did OK
as I managed to keep the course close to SSE on average which was pretty good. If I do say so myself :-)

We are heading SExE under all sail, except for the Mizzen staysail and gaff topsail, and we may be able to
get to Dominica under sail alone.

Thanks for reading.
KJ

No comments:

Post a Comment