Atlantic Rollers

Atlantic Rollers

Monday, March 9, 2015

Petite Martinique Mar 9-10,09

Friday, March 13th, 2009


Spent yesterday painting the starboard side of the ship. The last day that she was alongside in Grenada a
big swell was coming directly into the harbour making her bump and rub against the big rubber fenders on
the dock. In some places these fenders had rubbed the paint right off the ship down to bare metal and had
even dented the thinner bulwark plates.

She looked much better by the time we finished.

After we cleaned up we had a brief workshop on knots and I learned two new ways of doing standard
knots, clove hitch and bowline, and anew one whose name I don’t remember but which is like a tugboat
hitch and can be tied really quickly.

The evening I spent watching The Empire Strikes Back on a PC that was setup on the main hatch. Pretty
cool watching that under a full moon with a warm tropical breeze blowing through the rigging
Today I’m off to see the sights ashore, such as they are, and I’ll let you know how it goes.

The plan is to leave here early tomorrow morning to SAIL over to Carriacou for day or so.

More later…

It’s 9:30pm and I just climbed into my bunk after a fabulous day ashore. I went in on the 10:00am skiff
and joined up with a bunch my crew mates. We then tried to get some local cash but the two banks were
closed. Luckily the grocery store took U$ and Euros so I was able to get some snacks. Then after lunch
we hired a water taxi and went across to a nearby island called Petite St. Vincent. This island is officially
private but according to the hotel/resort people their business is so slow they don’t mind other people
hanging out.



We found a beautiful beach and just hung out for the afternoon and evening.

I fell asleep in a hammock I found setup in a thatched shelter far along this deserted beach. It would have
been fatally easy to stay there all afternoon but luckily I woke up after half an hour or so.

Rory had managed to rent a boat so we had our own transport back which saved us a bunch of ECDs.


So we are off to Carriacou tomorrow morning. I imagine it will be a lot quieter than last time.

Thanks for reading
KJ

Here are more photos from my run ashore in Petite Martinique and Petite St Vincent.



Posted in Ashore, On Watch | No Comments »

P.S. This video taken while I was lying in that hammock is why it would have been very easy to have slept the whole afternoon away...

No comments:

Post a Comment