Atlantic Rollers

Atlantic Rollers

Saturday, January 31, 2015

Atlantic Crossing Jan 31,09

Saturday Jan 31,09

We are currently sailing SSW with the spanker and gaff topsail, all square sail, the mizzen staysail and the
flying and outer jib set. We are making 5.5 knots and the tradewinds are much warmer now, as is the sea
which is 25.5 C currently.

There is much speculation about what kind of ordeal us polliwogs will be forced to have when we cross
the line. I do know that we are keeping all food waste aboard until then which doesn’t bode well.

We should cross the line late Tuesday or early Wednesday at current speed , however the winds may drop
before then as we hit the doldrums (also known as the “intertropical convergence zone”).

Bruce, Rich and I are on solo galley duty tomorrow which will be “interesting” as none of us really cook. I
suggested a couple of things that I have actually done and promptly got elected as “boss”, lovely.

More later…

It’s later. We are now sailing as before but we have the two remaining stunsls set. It didn’t seem to mess
up the steering too much which was good.

Bruce and I have a plan for the cooking tomorrow which has reduced the anxiety level a whole bunch. At
least for me :-)

We will be getting up at 5:30am to get rolling and I’ll let you know how it goes.

Thanks for reading
KJ

No comments:

Post a Comment