Atlantic Rollers

Atlantic Rollers

Monday, January 26, 2015

Atlantic Crossing Jan 26, 09

Note that originally this was posted as a single long post when I got ashore in Grenada.
I will be posting each day separately here so you can follow each days action.

Monday January 26,09

So we are off across the Atlantic Ocean at last.

We hoisted anchor and “sailed off the hook”, ie we didn’t use our engine to get underway, around 1:00pm
this afternoon. We are now headed to the WSW under topsails, foresail, inner and outer jibs and main
topmast staysail.

The weather is fabulous with bright sunny skies, deep blue seas and steady force 4 tradewinds blowing in
exactly the right direction.

The Captain says we have the makings of a good passage as long as we are sharp on our sail handling so
he can keep the t’gallants and royals set longer. The crew is in favour of that so we should have an
interesting passage.

I’m back on the 4-8 watch for this passage so I will have to get re-oriented sleep wise again. I put on the
seasickness patch last night so I’m hoping I can avoid a repeat of the last passages “flux”. My back doesn’t
hurt and I’m feeling good to be heading West towards my lovely Lady so far away in cold and snowy
Calgary!

I’ll be updating this post as we go along so you will be able to follow how I’ve made out by simply reading
below. You already know I made it because if I didn’t you won’t see this   So consider this a message
from the past to all you fine folks following along at home!

Thanks for reading
KJ

2015 Postscript

Here is the video of us "sailing off the hook" taken by Spencer's Grand Father Hal.

No comments:

Post a Comment