Atlantic Rollers

Atlantic Rollers

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Ashore in Mindelo, Sao Vincente, Jan 22,09

Friday, January 23rd, 2009

Went ashore on the first skiff run yesterday and had a good wander around this nice town.

On the way into to the yacht club wharf we passed a defunct Russia hydrofoil that is anchored out in the
bay. It looks like something from Buck Rogers. The Soviets donated them to various small islands during
the eighties and most are now sitting due to a lack of spare parts.



The town itself was very quiet as it was a national holiday of some sort. This morning (the 23rd) is much
noisier and busy with traffic and lots of people about.

Bruce and I wandered around and criss crossed the town just to see what there was to see then I headed
back to the Cafe we found (the Yacht Club) that has Internet access and a reasonably priced restaurant.



Today my primary objective is to get stocked up on snacks, pick up my laundry and do this :-)

It’s hard to believe that I’ve been aboard for nearly 2 and half months already and that tomorrow we head
out to cross the Atlantic ocean! I’m excited, and a bit anxious to be honest, to finally be doing the “big
crossing”. I hope I will get my sea legs back quickly. I should be OK since the anchorage is fairly rough so the ship has been moving a lot which will help.

It is very unlikely that I will be able to do any Internet stuff for the next month or so. Unless the island of
Fernando de Noronha off the coast of Brazil has Internet, anything is possible these days I suppose.

The crossing will take anywhere from 10-20 days. We head South from here then angle SW across the
equator to get to Fernando de Noronha. Crossing the equator has a lot of rituals associated with it and
each ship has it’s own so I have no idea what to expect. One must pay his dues to Neptune that is for sure
for it is his realm that we travel in after all.

Wish me luck and send good vibes and I will update you all from the other side of the Big Briny Atlantic
Ocean.

Thanks for reading.
KJ

There are pictures of Mindelo here.

Posted in Ashore | 1 Comment »

No comments:

Post a Comment