Atlantic Rollers

Atlantic Rollers

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Atlantic Crossing Jan 27,09

Tuesday Jan 27,09

Had a good night watch, we’re still sailing along with Royals set making 6-7 knots.

We will be having the first formal celestial navigation workshop today which should be interesting.
Just finished the first of our Celestial Nav (CN) classes. The class was held on the quarter deck. There is
something really cool about learning navigation when you are actually at sea. I’ve read a lot about
navigation and all the math etc necessary to do it but actually doing it on a ship is a good way to make it
real :-)  We will be having these classes every day now and although optional I think I will try to stick with
it for a bit.

I’ve downloaded some pdf files with CN info so I have some references to use as well.

Also started my “ditty bag” which uses all the same techniques as Buddy the sailmaker uses to make the
sails for the ship. Most of the crew have theirs since they started back in May but I and the other new(er)
trainees got started today. the weather is fabulous with steady force 4 trade winds and bright blue skies
with only a few puffy white cumulus clouds hurrying downwind.

When I came off the afternoon 4-8 watch the sky was ablaze with stars some of the brightest I’ve seen so
far, the night watch should be good.

Thanks for reading
KJ

No comments:

Post a Comment