Atlantic Rollers

Atlantic Rollers

Sunday, May 24, 2015

Ashore in Lunenberg May 24,09

Sunday, May 24th, 2009

Today was the first day ashore since I returned to Grenada that wasn’t going to be followed shortly by
going back to the ship. That is a bit strange to me.

Last night the Dory Shop hosted a BBQ and party that went on to the wee hours :-)  The highlight for me
was the live entertainment. There were initially 2 fiddlers, a standing Bass player, a banjo player and a
mandolin player. Eventually they were joined by the fiddler that played at the party a year ago! The
resulting 4 hour jam session was fantastic!

The B&B that my daughter is staying at is very nice and quiet and my bed was soft and actually “big
enough to roll over in” :-)  I got a very nice relaxing and calm sleep, once I got back there about 3:00am
This morning after a fine breakfast of waffles, fresh fruit and coffee, I walked over to the ship and started
packing all my gear. I ended up using my new sea bag because it was bigger than my second duffel bag.
It was cloudy and rainy today, more typical of Lunenberg at this time of year I think.

This evening was the official end of the trip with an “awards” ceremony that started at 7:00pm at the Ice
House bar which is attached to the Fisheries Museum here.

John has created a 2 hour slide show of pictures from the whole trip which was really cool. The Captain
gave a speech and Bruce read out his carefuly collected statistics. Everything from from how far we
traveled, 17,756 nautical miles if I remember correctly, to how many sheets of toilet paper we used , a
number I have mercifully forgotten.

The “awards” were carefully setup for each person which was really neat. I got the award for the “most
sailor looking” of the crew. Heh.

Each member of the crew also received a print of a painting of the Picton castle done by William
Gilkerson.

Tomorrow at 9:00am there will be a group crew photo on the deck of the ship followed by getting the lines
and tackles rigged to move the wood from Grenada over the side.

My Daughter and I leave for Halifax to fly back to Calgary at 4:30pm tomorrow. Then the fun starts.

I think…

Thanks for reading.
KJ

Posted in Ashore | No Comments »

No comments:

Post a Comment