Atlantic Rollers

Atlantic Rollers

Saturday, April 25, 2015

A quick hop to Basse Terra Sat Apr 25,09

Wednesday, April 29th, 2009

We were supposed to leave for BVI today but when the Captain went ashore to clear out there was
nobody around to do it. While we were waiting we worked on several small projects including the
Grenada Boat, now known as “Mr Bones”, and getting stuff in the hold lashed down ready for sea.
Just after lunch the Captain came back and announced that we would be shifting over to the largest island
in the Saints, Basse Terra, for the weekend then clear out on Monday.

Our watch was off today so David and I went ashore and had a quick look around. This is a very quiet
island! The town is very small with only a couple of bar/restaurants and a couple of souvenir shops and a
small grocery store. No ATM, or Wifi to be found :-)

Unfortunately in my rush to catch the skiff I forgot my camera so I don’t have any pictures of this quaint
little place.

We arrived jut as a funeral was being conducted so everything was shutdown completely. Just to add to
the atmosphere it poured rain, in those huge drops only a tropical rain squall can bring. I tried to shelter
under a tree but got soaked anyways, I also forgot my rain coat, blah.

Bill found a small hotel for the night which also had a restaurant so we were able to have a nice dinner,
which as an added bonus was pretty cheap.

The anchorage here is a bit dicey so we may have to move the ship in the morning.

Thanks for reading
KJ

Posted in Ashore, On Watch | No Comments »


No comments:

Post a Comment