Atlantic Rollers

Atlantic Rollers

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Scary steering, feeling accomplished.


Wed Aug 31

Our night watch last night was equal parts exciting, terrifying, and satisfying.

As we were motoring towards Rose Bay there was an amazing sunset. I hope the pictures turned out OK (haven't had a chance to look yet).

Once it got dark I started my trick on helm. Just as we started our approach to Rose Bay as luck would have it. I really had to work on my steering to keep the lights I was following in line. We weren't using a compass course just the shore beacons.  Then as we got close the Captain took the con and was giving me helm orders directly. I had never done that before. The orders are directions and turns of the wheel. They are all dependent on knowing where the midships position is. I had no clue when I started getting those orders! Luckily my watchmates were able to check the steering gear and tell me how many turns I had. Once I knew I was already two turns over I could count correctly.

Motoring into a dark bay is frankly terrifying,  that run in was probably one of the scariest things I've done this trip.

Once the anchor was down and the "Finished with the wheel" order was given, I just stood there. I got lots of compliments on the steering though so I guess it wasn't too wavy a route :-)

Since I was off the watch the previous night I had the first anchor watch which was a great way to calm down. The stars were fantastic and the sea was full of sparkling flashes that were almost as bright.

We had a wake up at 6:45 this morning and we were on the capstan hauling up the anchor by shortly after 7:00.  It took 360 push pulls on the capstan bars to get the anchor up. I decided to count to take my mind off the work
 :-)



We sailed off the hook again without the engine running which was awesome.
As the Captain said "There is a special place in hell for Square Rig captains who don't sail when there is a good sailing breeze!"

We sailed back towards Lunenburg until we got abreast of battery point then we fired up the engine and started taking in the sails. The skiff was launched to help with the docking but its motor wouldn't start so they ended up paddling to the wharf while we docked using the engine, the dock lines and muscle power.

Once we were tied up we started taking all the sails off the yards and stowing them in the hold. I spent most of my time out on the head rig lashing up and disconnecting the head sails, then hauling them below to the hold.

Once that was done we had an all hands muster and we got our sea time documents and passports back, plus a nice Picton Castle shirt :-)

I'm going to pack up and then wander off to find my BnB, get settled and then come back for a BBQ at the Dory Shop. It will be nice to sleep in a bed that isn't moving :-)

The gerneral exodus has started, some of the crew are already gone, others are staying on for day or two. I might work tomorrow we'll see.

Later this afternoon will be a BBQ and drinks at the Dory Shop, then it is the Wed races in the harbour in which our Monomoy boat always participates if possble.

I think for sure I will do some tourist stuff before I leave on Sunday.

Managed to get a BnB billet for tonight and tomorrow night then I will have to find somewhere else to stay on Friday and Saturday.

I'm staying at Greybeard's BnB which was highly recommended by some of the crew. The breakfasts are very highly recommended too!

A long shower and clean clothes are first order of business then the BBQ.

Thanks for reading.
KJ

Here is a picture of the sunset from last night.

And a couple of the ship tied up at Lunenburg.


Taking her sails down is a bit like a bird molting her flight feathers.
She looks a bit sad without her glorious plummage. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment